Friday, July 19, 2013

The happs

Before I go into the happenings of late, Greg hooked us up with some throwback photos from Smith.  A lot of times when I am trying to place a cam and my foot is slowly sliding off some glacier polished feet, or digging dirt and moss off a foothold, I miss Smith.  Actually, I miss Smith a lot.  That said, Squamish is a rad place and in terms of quantity (and quality) it has a lot to offer.  Here is a picture of Mark and I, and one of Mark falling, or as we would say “taking a whip” on Churning in the Wake at the Morning Glory Wall at Smith. 

Greg Horvath

Greg Horvath

Since I last checked in, Mark and I have been up to quite a bit of climbing.  Given how long the days are, we sometimes will climb a route in the morning and still have time for a leisurely bouldering session in the afternoon.  On Wednesday we did just that- we woke up early to climb a route called Hairpin (10a) on the Papoose (what the formation of rock is called i.e. the Chief), checked out Shannon Falls and then went out for some bouldering in the afternoon.  An added bonus was a fixed line all the way down the Papoose.  That meant that once we got to the top of the climb (Hairpin) we could do one long rappel all the way to the start of the climb and avoid a bushy walk-off or multiple rappels using our 60 meter rope! 

Logs being transported on the Howe Sound

Looking down the second pitch of Hairpin

Shannon Falls

Shannon Falls
In the bouldering world, Mark has being crushing!  He has been bouldering way more than I have and has developed a circuit to build back some strength.  In the past week he has quickly sent two V7’s (Goldenboy and Immunity Challenge), onsighted (got up the climb first try without anyone telling him how to do it) two V5’s (Timeless, and Wafer Thin), and been sending everything in between.  The bouldering in Squamish generally involves big powerful movement, something which I think Mark is particularly good at, so it has been fun to watch him monkey his way up a lot of stuff.  The bouldering has been pretty humbling for me thus far but I am starting to get a bit more acquainted with the style and holds.  Like I said earlier, this sure ain’t the Buttermilks.  I did Slingshot (V2) the other day and it just may be the best V2 I have ever done!  A bold statement, but so far I cannot think of another V2 that comes close.  We went back out to introduce Greg to this gem and brought out the cameras to get some pictures.  That day, Greg also sent Immunity Challenge (V7)!

Slingshot V2


Picture by Greg Horvath

Greg Horvath


Greg Horvath

Greg Horvath

Mark and Greg hanging by Viper V5

A cool fern in the forest
Yesterday, we made the trek up to a fabled off-width (OW) climbing crag called The Cirque of the Uncrackables.  Cobra Crack, an iconic 5.14 finger crack is also in the area, surrounded by some gaping OWs. OW climbing requires good technique and in my opinion a whole lot of suffering, grit, and groveling.  It is not uncommon to feel like you may puke after doing an OW climb.  Fun, right?  One of the climbs in the Cirque is even called Boogie til you Puke.  Also jokingly referred to as Boogie til you Poop after a video was put out last year showing a climber on it who was trying so hard that he pooped his pants.  If you really want to see it, here is a link http://vimeo.com/13831211.  Greg, Mark, and I were planning to meet up with some friends up there and despite some navigational mishaps, a subsequent summit of second peak, and carry over, we finally made it there (more than doubling the actual 45 minute approach).  The view from second peak was pretty awesome though so I guess we can go ahead and say that it was worth it.  Greg and Mark cruised up almost all the climbs there, while I on the other hand, laybacked my way up the 5.9 OW and called it good.  Laybacking an OW is generally not considered the best technique, but hey, I had fun!  I can’t really say that I enjoy OW climbing but maybe someday I will be inspired to "put my time in," as they say.  After grossly underestimating the amount of food we should have brought, we treated our growling tummies to a Hot-n-Ready ($5 pizza from Little Ceasars).  It was fantastic.


View from the top of Second Peak.  You can see the top of First Peak on the left.  Mark and I topped out First Peak last week when we climbed Banana Peel to Boomstick Crack to Butt Light. 



Mark and Greg!
It is hard to believe that we are almost already two months into our trip! I definitely miss home, but I am so happy that Mark and I worked hard to make this trip possible.  Every now and then I still can’t believe that we are actually on the road, seeing new places, and getting to climb nearly everyday at the places we only dreamed of going to just a year ago.  I am very lucky that my parents exposed me to camping, and a general appreciation of nature early on.  It is fun making my own memories outside with Mark and our friends, but I sure miss our family camping trips.  And after being a nanny (Hi Ian!! ;) ), I am beyond impressed that my parents got all of us packed up, and out there. 

Also, we are aware of the fire in Idyllwild but don't get internet too often so we would appreciate updates via text message!


xoxo Lauren (and Mark)


2 comments:

  1. Living the dream...

    However, we miss you and can't wait to see you soon. Thanks for the updates and the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) What's up with Marko's arm?
    2) Berry Pie? What else can Chef LMo cook?
    3) Is Mark doing any cooking?
    4) You hafta know a whole bunch of us are living your adventure vicariously!!!
    XXOO,
    Uncle Pep.

    ReplyDelete