Friday, September 13, 2013

A few of our favorite things

As Mark and I get ready to head back out, we are slimming down what we brought along for the first few months, and stocking up on our favorite things.  It got me thinking that it may be interesting (?), and maybe even useful, for us to share some of our favorite things: places, camping gear, climbing gear, camping food, etc.  So in no particular order, here are some of our favorites.

Gear and Shoes

ThermaRest NeoAir Dream:  After spending summers backpacking in the Sierra and getting psyched on going light, I decided that if we were car camping this trip, we were going all out.  I am talking two burner stove, cooler, blankets, and most importantly: deluxe sleeping pads.  Out of all our gear, these may have been the biggest splurge money wise.  But being an avid bargain hunter, I found some cosmetic seconds for a total steal.  These sleeping pads, the ThermaRest NeoAir Dream, are a combination of a NeoAir self inflating pad, and a pillow top (memory foam-ish) topper.  The NeoAir has quite some loft (I have found myself lightheaded at altitude blowing it all the way up) and combined with the foam topper, it is the ultimate in car camping luxury.  They pack down to a reasonable size, and they have a system to connect multiple pads next to each other.  As a bonus, the NeoAir part can be taken out so if for some reason we are backpacking and want something small and light, we have it!

La Sportiva Muira: Some girls are really passionate about their shoes, they love how they look, don't mind the pain, and know that they are worth the price tag.  I have to say that I share that sentiment, but maybe in a different way.  I am not talking about some cute heels- I am talking about my favorite climbing shoes: the La Sportiva Muiras.  First off- they are gorgeous.  Second- they perform.  They are relatively comfortable, but when it comes to climbing shoes, especially for harder climbs, comfort is not that high on my list.  Before this trip I knew I loved Muiras, but after Smith, I knew they were my favorite shoe.  My favorite thing about the Muiras is how well they edge, while still being sensitive.  All this said I have to admit that these shoes fit my foot really well.  Mark's feet for example just don't fit right.  I am guessing that I have probably lost most people by this point so I will cut myself off, but seriously, I think every climber should try these out.  Oh! I almost forgot- they resole well too.

The Muiras performing at Smith

Five Ten Guide Tennie: I have gone through a few pairs of pants because I have gotten holes on the butt from scooting down steep sections of rock.  This was pre- Guide Tennie.  Now, thanks to some sticky rubber, I have slightly improved by scrambling ability and I don't think I have destroyed any more pairs of pants.  Guide Tennies are considered approach shoes which means that they have stick rubber so you can do more technical moves on steeper terrain, but they are comfortable enough to wear on the approach and descent.  I totally suck at scrambling and am one of those people that really insists on having three points of contact at all time so having these makes scrambles much easier.  I have a pair of the leather, and the canvas, and so far I prefer the leather ones.  I would imagine that even if you are a hiker that gets a little nervous on slabs, these shoes would be confidence inspiring.  I often find them on 6pm.com for pretty cheap if you are interested.

Food

Great Basin Bakery: If you are going though Bishop, you gotta stop here.  Yes, Schatt's has cheese bread, but aside from that, Great Basin has them beat in terms of bagels, bread, and baked goods.  Everyone we have taken here or told to stop by has had nothing but good things to say.  So if you are headed up that way, it is well worth the stop.

Red Thai Curry: One of our favorite meals this trip has been quinoa, veggies, tempeh (or garbanzo beans), and....Trader Joe's Red Thai Curry.  Between the quinoa and tempeh we are set on protein, and the curry is worth the extra bit of money you pay.  I think it is like $2.70 a bottle, and every time we have it, we are always psyched.  I would post a picture of the meal, but it does not really fall into the picture worthy category.  I will just say that this little bottle of curry turns a bland camping meal into something worth sitting down and enjoying.

Clothes

Patagonia R1 Hoody:  I would recommend the R1 hoody to anyone who does anything outside.  It is versatile, it has a hood (!), and it is a perfect weight for taking up climbs.  It is my go-to layer: it is surprisingly warm and breathable.  The only downside is that this thing gets stinky, as do all synthetics, but this thing really retains the stink.  This could also be correlated with our frequency of showering.


Life is good in an R1 Hoody

Lululemon Swiftly Tech Racerback:  I would consider myself a connoiseur of racerback style tank tops, and I have the tan lines to prove it.  After testing out just about every brand and material, I have decided that my favorite is the Lululemon Swiftly Tech Racerback.  They are cute, they dry super fast, and they are lightweight.  Yes, as with everything Lululemon they are super expensive, but I would say this one is worth it.  I also like the Short Sleeve version in the Swiftly Tech fabric, but I haven't bought the long sleeve because I find that it is way to snug on the forearms. #climbergirlproblems (?)

People

Mark:  Even though I already knew this, a few months on the road confirmed even more that I am one lucky girl.  Mark is so supportive, so understanding, and reminds to enjoy each day as it comes. I also have to hand it to him: he didn't even give me grief when I threw my big bag of nail polish in the truck. I could go on, but I'll just leave it at that.  He is a great guy, and I am so happy to be on this adventure with him.



And that wraps up some of my favorite things.  Tomorrow we are headed out to the Grand Canyon, then onto Zion, Canyonlands, and Arches.  We have a week in Breckenridge planned thanks to my Mom's timeshare magic, and after that we will get back into some climbing!  

xoxo
Lauren and Mark

4 comments:

  1. Any guy (especially a climber) who doesn't bat an eye when the bag O'nail polish gets packed with the important gear is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No prAna plug Lauren??? I guess I need to get you some new soft goods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, that will be in part II, with our most favorite things

      Delete
  3. I hope the Next Adventure of MK & LMo (Part II) is fantastic and wonderful! Drive, climb, explore and enjoy every moment together!
    Lots of Love!
    Uncle Pep.

    ReplyDelete