Friday, August 9, 2013

We have a couch!

The biggest news of late is that our landlords gave us a bunch of furniture!  Previously, our most prized decoration was a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II that Greg rented through an art loan program at the Squamish library.  Here is a picture of the couch making it to the third floor and our new set up. 




Last week we met up with our newlywed (congrats!) friends from back home, Will and Aniela.  I didn’t climb to give my elbow some more time to return to a normal size so I hung out with Mark, Greg, Will, and Aniela as they crushed all day!  Seriously!  Mark and Will both sent Worm World Cave, V9!  This climb was at the top of Mark’s list in terms of bouldering so it was really cool that he sent it; in one session none the less.  It was also Will’s first V9 outside!  However, my favorite part was watching Mark get off the boulder by scooting backwards on a log.  And don’t worry, I caught that on video.

Aniela on a problem in the Easy Chair area with her husband spotting!


The other day (last Tuesday?), Mark and I ticked off a climb that we had our eyes on for a while.  Literally.  You can see the entire thing from our balcony.  The climb, Angel’s Crest, is arguably one of the most popular long moderate lines in Squamish.  It is 13 pitches long with a couple pitches of 10b, and a little bit of everything else below that.  It follows a steep ridge-like feature to the top of the Second Peak of the Chief.  We started the climb by climbing 60 ft of a large cedar tree!  As I have said before, no long route is complete (or classic) without some good tree climbing.  After the tree pitch is the classic 10b “Angel Crack” followed by some climbing that I don’t recall much of.  The money pitch imho is a super exposed traverse along the ridge (the Acrophobes).  The position was super cool, the climbing was fun, and I was super psyched to be climbing it.  After a couple raps you take it to the top, finishing on a very unique pitch with some mandatory crawling to rock straddling to super exposed chimney climbing.  We were psyched to top out, eat some chips, then head back down the Chief trail.  I kind of blew it on my photographic duties so I don't really have any picture to show but the next blog posts will be full of pictures!  

Missing everyone and still wishing our Dad's the happiest of birthdays.  I can only imagine there is some beer involved :)

xoxo
MK and LMo

4 comments:

  1. The furniture looks great! Perhaps your landlord realized that it would be pretty nice to have the furniture moved up three flights of stairs for free, lol.

    The highlight of Daddy's birthday was the "real beer" float - a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a pint of porter. He enjoyed it of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, but it seems equally plausible. I am just hoping they want to keep it up there!

      Delete
  2. And I glad that you guys are enjoying the climbing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome journaling! Self discovery is a major component of any adventure. Sounds like you guys are on an epic adventure! Big Hugs to both! Uncle Pep.

    ReplyDelete