Sunday, October 27, 2013

First Freeze!

A quick update from the basement at Miguels where I am currently listening to some high schoolers talk about how they have been dating for three weeks, and are asking the unfortunate climber near them (who is being a real sport) about climbing.  Do you free climb?  Do you do any camping on the side of cliffs?  Do you carry a pack with you as you climb?  Mark and I are giggling and looking around the corner at Ben who is also finding it quite amusing.  Note to self- bring headphones next time.  Although the dude was rewarded with two slices of their leftover pizza.  He is psyched!

The past few days have been pretty cold- I only peeled off my long underwear this morning to give them a much needed wash, and I am currently sporting some socks with flip flops (hot).  We woke up the other morning to frost all over!  But we aren't complaining all that much, the friction is better, I don't feel the need to climb in a bikini (good for everyone involved), and the leaves are turning.  Plus Ben so graciously went to the WalMart in Lexington and bought a douche bag, which unbeknownst to me doubles extremely well as a body warmer.  We have been bringing the JetBoil out to the crag, boiling up some water, pouring it in the bag, and sticking inside our jackets.  The warmth is great, but the giggles we have had from bringing the douche bag everywhere with us have been even better.

We went back to Funk Rock City in the Eastern Gorge area and I onsighted (got it clean on my first try without any beta given to me) Eye of the Needle (5.11b)- my first 5.11 onsight!  That was one of my goals coming into the Red so I was pretty excited to make it happen.  I then proceeded to get shutdown on an 11c so don't worry- the ego is entirely in check.  

After making it back to the car from Funk Rock, getting lost and crossing a stream in the dark, we made our way to PMRP the next day.  We warmed up at the Gallery then trekked over to North 40 to get on Amarillo Sunset, a classic 11b at the Red.  The climb has huge moves!  It was super fun and while we were over there Mark found his most favorite climb EVER, Samurai.  Even above Super Pooper at Tahquitz which until yesterday reigned at number 1.  

Here are a bunch of pictures from the last few days.

Mark on Amarillo Sunset






Ben warming his fingers on the back of his neck.  A common technique that has been used the past few days.

Mark on his most favorite climb EVER.  Samurai (12c)


Eye of the Needle (11b).  Mark is up there if you can find him.

Mark on Random Precision at the Gallery.  Thanks Ben for the sweet pic!

Not flip flop weather


A look into Shantytown and the trust Coleman



xoxo 
MK and LMo

No comments:

Post a Comment