Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Bird Watching and Sending Projects

As I mentioned before, there is a bald eagle nesting with her two babies near our campground.  Although part of the camping area is closed you can sit on the rim of the canyon and look at the nest, perched high up in a big Ponderosa Pine tree.  The other night Mark and I went out to watch the mama Eagle hunt and give her babies food.  We were out there for a couple hours but it was totally worth it.  The eagle babies (albeit very big babies) were cute, and the mama Eagle was so majestic.  But as you will see later, even the most beautiful and majestic of creatures have to poop.  In the first picture you can see the mama eagle flying with a snow covered volcano in the back.


And as I alluded to earlier, Mark was able to capture the bald eagle pooping.  Mind you, we had company.  And by company I mean the serious photographer with the giant telephoto lens taking pictures in earnest.  I don't think he found it quite as funny as we did, but I think it is a story and photo worthy of sharing.


Other than birding, we floated the Deschutes River on Sunday and have been sending our respective projects as the temps finally cool down.  

On Monday, Mark sent Chain Reaction (5.12c)!!!  Chain Reaction is one of the most iconic sport climbs at Smith Rock; its first ascent in 1984 helped usher in the sport climbing revolution in the United States. It was Mark's main objective coming into Smith. Chain Reaction climbs a striking, steep arete capped by a large roof; the climbing is both delicate and dynamic.  Mark sent it on his fourth go and executed it perfectly!  More or less, he made quick work of a classic Smith climb, and that got both of us really psyched for the rest of our time here at Smith.  I tried to get video, and pictures, but if you know Mark, you know that he isn't too fond of that.  Instead I will have to direct you to mountain project to look at the climb http://www.mountainproject.com/v/chain-reaction/105789917.  

After Mark's inspiring send, I got back on my project, Vomit Launch (5.11b), a classic 5.11 pump-a-thon, as Mountain Project calls it.  While Mark came to Smith knowing he wanted to climb Chain Reaction, I had no real set goals.  So when we got on Vomit Launch last week, I decided that I liked it enough and wanted to redpoint it.  Monday was the first day I got on it on lead and it went surprisingly well.  Like, really surprisingly.  Lead climbing is scary (for me) but I found myself moving confidently above bolts, and even taking a couple of falls, casually.  The next day (Tuesday) I came back hoping to send, and was psyched to find that somebody had left draws (especially for one tricky clip).  My first go I fell off at the top, literally less that two feet from the anchor due to some nauseating pump and a botched sequence.  After an hour break, I worked up the gumption and psych to get back on.  Before I knew it, I found myself at the same jug before the final moves, trying to shake out the pump and gain back some strength.  But this time I actually remembered my beta and made it to the anchor.  I couldn't stop smiling when Mark lowered me to the ground.  

After two days of getting on hard climbs, our fingertips and feet were pretty worthless.  Despite tempting good temps (finally!), we took today off and instead hiked up Misery Ridge to check out the Monkey.  The view was gorgeous and we can't wait to do some climbing on it.


Well, I guess we should vacate the comfy chairs at Starbucks.   Back to the ditch!

xoxo Lauren and Mark

3 comments: