Saturday, June 8, 2013

This is _____ awesome!

Checking in from Starbucks in Bend, Oregon.  Air conditioning is feeling real nice!  We woke up this morning at 5:30, extreme alpine start for us, and did the classic 3 (or 4) pitch route Zebra Zion.  Temps are still high so we wanted to be first on the route and finish before any sun hit the route.  The first pitch was kind of awkward but the next two pitches were awesome.  Especially the standout last pitch.  Awesome exposure and location, glory liebacking, and in general, just a lot of fun.  Plus the descent went past my project so I got to look at it again and I am definitely psyched to get on it soon.

Here are some pictures from Zebra Zion:
On top of Zebra Zion.  Check out our new helmets!

Looking down at the last pitch.



So that was our morning.  We are going to take the rest of today and tomorrow off, hopefully find a good spot by the Deschutes river, and hopefully recover from this lingering sickness that I can't seem to kick.  Aside from Zebra Zion we have just been cragging (doing single pitch routes as opposed to multipitch), Mark got on his project yesterday afternoon and did really well.  The send in imminent!  I am going to try and get some video of it because it is the kind of climb that is fun to watch.  The same day I onsighted my hardest lead route at Smith yet, and found a project that I think will be really good for me.    The moves are fun, no one move is that much harder than the rest, and it will come down to keeping it together and fighting the pump, and oh, remembering my beta! 

In other news, the hippie/ carnie/ semi-dirtbag commune has disbanded in the campground.  It was an odd group and all the sudden there would be weird circus trick items.  And they would usually listen to weird 90's electronic music (for everyone to enjoy of course).    

Before I get into too much detail, I will stop myself and leave you with a picture of sunset a couple nights ago at the campground.  


xoxo Lauren and Mark

All of the pictures are being uploaded to the same link from the last post.  I think you have to sign up for google plus.  If I figure out something better (and equally convenient) I will do so, but for now, this is the easiest way to share and backup all of the photos.  I just want Picasa back!

2 comments:

  1. Only you would wind up camping with carnies. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 Bend. Also, the PNW is full of hippies and carnies. As the say on Portlandia, "The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland."

    :)

    ReplyDelete